Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homework

---
Written: 2/??/2010
Characters: Taylor and Josh
Setting: Taylor's bedroom (...in an innocent way)
Written for Ben. This covers 3. ;P

---

"'Sacrilegous'" I dictated. I sat along the wall in my friend Taylor's bedroom. We had originally planned to study for our midterms, but so far hadn't even left the subject of English.
"S-a-c-r" Taylor paused, trying to remember. "e-l"
"Still no." I laughed. "Try again."
"S-a-c-r-I-L" he emphasized the last two letters. "e-g-i-o-u-s" I sighed with half-mock frustration. "I'm bored with spelling, can we take a break?" Taylor said edgily.
"We've already taken three breaks and we have an exam tomorrow." I reminded him.
"But I'm tired." he sighed.
"No slacking" I said teasingly. "Want to switch to Geometry?"
"No." he answered simply. "I want to take a nap." He closed his hazel eyes and leaned onto a pillow. I put my books on the floor next to me and pulled my knees in close, just watching him. After a few moments' silence, he interrupted quietly. "You could join me, you know." I let out a quiet laugh, blushing slightly, and gave Taylor a look of pretend disapproval. He sat up and looked at me. "No, I'm serious."
"Sounds tempting, but what will happen to our English exam?"
"We can study afterwards." Taylor said, slipping under the top blanket. "Just a short nap. Promise." After a moment of indecision, I rose and crossed the room. I sat down on the edge of the bed and took out my phone, laying it on the dresser beside the bed. I pulled the blankets up, uncomfortably, still not sure if he really had been serious. Taylor put an arm around my waist from behind and pulled me close. I giggled and tried to pull away.
"I'm not going to let go until I wake up." he teased. I wriggled around until I faced him.
"And what if I don't want you to let go when we wake up?" I asked, smiling as innocently as possible. His hazel eyes searched for an answer.
"Mm, then I guess we'll just have to miss that English exam." he smiled, causing me to catch my breath a little. It always gave me butterflies when he smiled, especially when he smiled because of me. I turned back around and shut my eyes tightly as he snuggled closer. Here in his arms I felt safe and warm. It only took a moment for me to decide that this was my favourite place in the world. Before long, Taylor's breathing evened out and I found myself too slipping into sleep.

The sound my phone ringing woke me up instantly. I reached across the dresser, causing the boy behind me to stir slightly. I flipped open my phone and offered a sleepy 'hello'. My eyes shot open at the sound of my mother's voice. "Half an hour ago?" I checked my watch. "Oh. Oh, yeah. I guess we lost track of time. I'll be home in five minutes." I closed the phone and turned back to Taylor, whose arm was still around my waist. "Tay, it's 5:30. We slept for almost two hours. I was supposed to be home at 5:00, remember?" He blinked his eyes and let out a little yawn. He let go of me and sat up.
"I'm sorry, we should have kept to studying." he apologized. I smiled at him.
"I think I much preferred this." He laughed quietly, his tawny eyes locked on mine for a long moment.
"You have such pretty eyes, Josh." he said quietly. I could feel the heat flushing to my face as I mumbled a 'thank you.' Taylor took advantage of the moment, leaning in quickly and kissing me.
I'd always had mixed feelings about kisses, having never had one of my own for comparison. I imagined them like the movies - perfect and meaningful, but all my friends had told me the same reviews. 'It's awkward, it's wet, and it feels like nothing special at all.' But it was nothing like they said. It was warm and gentle, soft and sweet. It felt thrilling and calming at the same time, much like that blissful rush of excitement and relief as a roller coaster finally reaches the top of the hill and starts on the way down.
The moment of perfection only lasted but a few seconds, though I knew I'd still feel the warmth and taste the sweetness long in my memory.
"I-I have to get home." I mumbled, unwillingly.
"Okay." Taylor said as he watched me gather my belongings into the school bag I brought.
"I'll see you at school." I said getting my jacket back on. I looked up at him and found myself blushing, so I lowered my gaze back at the floor. Still drunk with giddy butterflies, I turned back to the door and almost tripped on the way out. A moment later I returned, embarrassed. "Forgot my books." I said, picking up my bag. He just giggled. I turned to leave again when he stopped me.
"Josh." I turned around.
"Hm?"
"That Spanish exam on Thursday. I think I might need some help with that one too."
"Okay." I replied with a small laugh. "See you at school."
---

mhm...awkward situations are so hard to write, but idc I though it was cute? kinda?

1 comment: